Effective date: May 18, 2018
- Who we are
- How to contact us
- How we collect personal data
- “Do not track” signals
- How we use your personal data
- When we share and who can access your personal data
- Selling of your personal data
- Children and privacy
- Transfer of personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and international users
- How long we store your personal data
- Where we store your personal data
- Your rights
- Changes to this Privacy Notice
- Information correction, removal, and opting out
This Privacy Notice explains how the Solar Energy Industries Association, Inc., (“SEIA”, “we” or “us”) collects and processes your Personal Data. Each time you use our Site, the current version of the Privacy Notice will apply. Accordingly, whenever you use our Site, you should check the date of this Privacy Notice (which appears at the top) and review any changes since the last version. This Privacy Notice is applicable to all Site visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Site.
“Personal Data” is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
By visiting www.seia.org, other SEIA-branded Websites or those of our legal subsidiaries, or using our mobile application, (together the “Site”), you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Privacy Notice.
Who we are
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is Solar Energy Industries Association, Inc., registered in the District of Columbia, U.S., with a registered address of 600 14th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20005. SEIA is not required to appoint a Data Protection Office according to the GDPR.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact us using the Contact Us section on our Site. Alternatively you can contact us by phone at 1-202-682-0556, by sending an email to [email protected] or [email protected] or by post to 600 14th Street, N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20005.
How we collect personal data
Personal Data that you give us
We may collect and process the following Personal Data:
- Contact information
- Profile picture
- Site log-in information
- Membership information
- Dues payment information
- Event attendance information
- Purchase information
- Disciplinary information
- Areas of expressed interest and engagement
- Social media data
- Employment information
- Political party affiliation and Political Action Committee activity (US citizens only)
- Dietary needs and allergies (for our events)
Personal data we collect from you
With regard to each of your visits to the Site we will automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information
- Information about your visit
- Websites you visited prior and after visiting our Site
- Location information
Personal data we collect from others
This is information we receive about you if you use any of the other Websites (operated by us, or another member of our group) or use any other services provided by another member of our group or us.
We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and we may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our Site, including, without limitation:
- IP addresses
- Browser type and plug-in details
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
- Operating system
- Local time zone
We may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
The information that we collect with cookies allows us to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to statistically analyze usage of the Site, and to improve and customize our content and other offerings. However, we only disclose information collected with cookies to third parties on an aggregated basis without the use of any information that personally identifies you.
Cookies are pieces of numeric data that we transfer to be stored on your computer so that we can easily identify your computer when you return to our Site. For more information about cookies, visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
SEIA can only "read" Cookies that are placed on your computer from our Site. Usage of Cookies is not linked to any personally identifiable information. You can choose to disable Cookies by following the procedure suggested by your browser. If you choose to disable Cookies in your browser, you may still be able to access portions of our Site but your use of the Site may not be as efficient or as enjoyable as it would be if cookies were enabled.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies
- Analytical/performance cookies
- Functionality cookies
- Targeting cookies
- Third-party cookies
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
Cookies used by SEIA
Google Universal Analytics
This helps us count how many people visit the Site by tracking if you have visited before.
Third-party cookies used by SEIA
Pardot tracks visitor activities on the SEIA Site by setting cookies on their browsers. Cookies are set to remember preferences (like form field values) when a visitor returns to the site.
The pi_opt_in cookie is set with a true or false value when the visitor opts in or out of being tracked via cookies.
“Do not track” signals
SEIA tracks user activity to better improve its Site and market relevant products and services. For example, the Site will track the URL that you visited before you came to the Site, the URL to which you next go and your Internet Protocol (IP) address..
We support “do not track” signals (“DNT”). If you have DNT enabled in your web browser, we will not receive browser-related information from our advertising partners for tailoring advertisements.
How we use your personal data
We will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) we are required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
We may use Personal Data you give to us for the following purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- to provide our periodic newsletter and publication, provided you have given your consent;
- to complete your submitted request to receive specific company information, such as e-mail notifications, literature requests, and newsletter subscriptions;
- to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- to help other members connect with you for business purposes;
- to transfer your information as part of a merger or sale of the business;
- to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
We will use Personal Data that we collect about you:
- to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer the Site;
- to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information
- to send you marketing communications about SEIA products and services that we may think may be of interest to you based on your activities;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
We will combine Personal Data we receive from others with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
The Site or applications allow you to register to join by logging into your account with certain third party social networking sites (including, but not limited to, Facebook). We may access, make available and store this information as permitted by you so that it is available on and through the site and application. We may keep all of this information indefinitely.
The Site includes the ability for you and other users to post comments, photographs and other content on the Site. As a result, we will also receive information about you: (i) when you choose to post or otherwise share it on the Site, or (ii) when other users post or otherwise share information about you on the Site. We may use such information about you in a variety of ways, including to administer the Site and enhance your experience with the Site, and to communicate with you about the Site and new offerings associated with the Site. We may keep all this information indefinitely and such information that you or others post to the Site may be accessible by any other users of the Site.
[SEIA also collects non-personally identifiable information. This refers to information that does not, by itself, identify a specific individual. Like many other Sites, we gather certain information about the use and navigation of our Site by our visitors. This information is then compiled and analyzed in a way that does not identify our visitors personally. The information may include the referring Uniform Resource Locator (URL), indicating from where a visitor to our Site has come, which URLs have been visited on our Site and in what order, what browser is being used, and what Internet Protocol (IP) address a visitor used to get to our Site. We may also use such information for Site and system administration. Your IP address may also be used to help identify you, gather broad demographic information, and market relevant SEIA products and services.]
When we share and who can access your personal data
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice with:
- other members of our association
- subsidiary organizations of SEIA, such as Solar Energy Trade Shows, LLC, which is owned and supervised in part by SEIA
- partners, suppliers and sub-contractors
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
- trusted third-party companies and individuals, including sponsors of our events
- in the rare event that we sell or buy any business or assets, to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- an acquiring entity, if SEIA or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures. SEIA occasionally provides trusted sponsors of SEIA events with attendee lists that include attendee names and their companies, but not contact information.
We sometimes provide links to third-party Websites. You acknowledge that such links are provided for your convenience only and do not constitute an endorsement by SEIA of such third-party Websites. Since we do not control these Websites, we assume no responsibility for the privacy practices of such Websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies posted on those, and all, third-party Websites.
Selling your personal data
We will never sell your Personal Data to third parties with whom you do not have an existing relationship. We may sell access to your information (including Personal Data) to our strategic business partners with whom you have an existing relationship in order for our partners to better target their products and services to you. Our partners will not have direct access to your Personal Data but rather will have the ability to communicate with you through your participation with our Site.
We will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any of the personally identifiable information that we collect about you through our Site, except in any of the following situations:
- We may use the information we collect from you to fulfill your requests, conduct transactions with you, communicate with you about our events, services and other matters, manage the Site, provide targeted advertising to you and conduct research and analysis.
- We may disclose information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors and payment processors who perform services for us in connection with the Site, or to complete or confirm a transaction or series of transactions that you conduct with us. We may also disclose information to our franchisees or distributors and to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us.
- We may disclose the results of aggregated data about you for marketing or promotional purposes. In these situations, we do not disclose to these entities any information that could be used to personally identify you. Certain information, such as your password, is not disclosed to marketing advertisers at all, even in aggregate form.
- We may be legally obligated to disclose information about you to the government or to third parties under certain circumstances, such as in connection with illegal activity on the Site, or to respond to a subpoena, court order or other legal process. We reserve the right to release information that we collect to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
SEIA may also create applications which help support the mission of the organization. These applications may collect Personal Data, like your profile picture and ID, to display on third-party Websites. At any time, you may opt-out from the application and remove your information from being displayed by contacting us at [email protected].
We may share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to the Site, the number of people who have downloaded a document or the number of people from a certain state who purchased a product from the Site.
If you access the Site from outside of the United States, information that we collect about you will be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained indefinitely, which may involve the transfer of information out of countries located in the European Economic Area. By allowing us to collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of your data.
Children and privacy
Our Site is not directed to children under the age of 13, if you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If we learn that Personal Data of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Minors under the age of 18 may remove or request and obtain removal of content and information that they post on the Site or app. To remove or to request and obtain removal of such content and information, the user must contact us at [email protected].
Security and storage
Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet. The personal information you provide online is retained for no longer than is necessary, depending on the purpose for which it is held, and is electronically stored on a secure server. We protect the personal information you share with us. Access to your personal information is limited only to those SEIA employees and third-party partners, all of whom are required to keep your information confidential. SEIA does not sell, loan, trade or lease any personal information collected on our Site.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure proper use of your personally identifiable information, SEIA and its third-party partners employ appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online, consistent with industry practices. In addition, we take steps to protect the user data we collect against unauthorized access. However, you should keep in mind that the Site is run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
Transfer of personal data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and international users
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Service, you consent to any transfer of this information.
We will not transfer Personal Data, relating to individuals within the European Economic Area (“EEA”), to third parties (i.e., those outside of our group), located outside of the EEA without ensuring adequate protection under European law. Where a third party is located in a country not recognized by the EU Commission as ensuring an adequate level of protection, we will take appropriate steps, such as implementing standard contractual clauses recognized by the EU Commission, ourselves or through our trusted third-party vendors, to safeguard your Personal Data.
We use SalesForce as a third-party vendor to maintain the great majority of the Personal Data we hold. More information on the SalesForce policy regarding transfer of personal information can be found here.
How long we store your personal data
We will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request. Otherwise, if there is a continued use for SEIA to keep your Personal Data, we may keep all of this information indefinitely.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology through an approved third-party vendor and tokenized once processed so that SEIA does not have access to credit card information. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure.
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, please contact us at [email protected].
SEIA measures the performance of its Site to determine how we can improve and expand upon the content and services we provide. We have designed our Site so that you are not required to provide any personally identifiable information unless you are requesting access to certain options and services. You may choose at any time not to provide personally identifiable information, although this may restrict our ability to provide requested services or information.
If you no longer want to receive emails from SEIA on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email you receive, or, if you created an online account when you registered to receive our emails, you may log in to your account and make changes to your communication preferences. If you are having difficulty unsubscribing from our marketing communications using the above methods, please contact us directly at [email protected].
Please allow ample time for us to process your request. However, please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing communications, we may need to send you service-related communications and may need to keep information we have collected about you for record-keeping, research and other purposes.
Your European Rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Data) if we intend to use your Personal Data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also exercise the right by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data
- Request correction of your Personal Data
- Request erasure of your Personal Data
- Object to processing of your Personal Data
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Data
- Request transfer of your Personal Data
- Withdraw your consent
In addition, where you believe that SEIA has not complied with its obligations under this Privacy Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
Your U.S. Rights
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Your Californian Rights
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY: Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of your Personal Data with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your Personal Data to Company, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal data to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at one of the following addresses: [email protected] or
Attn: California Privacy Rights
600 14th St., NW – Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
Changes to this Privacy Notice
If we make any material changes to this Privacy Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal Data, we will notify you by revising the “Effective Date” at the top of this Privacy Notice, prominently posting an announcement of the changes on our Site, or sending an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address) prior to the new policy taking effect.
Any changes we make to our Privacy Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notification sent to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Privacy Notice.